Thursday, June 21, 2012

Useless knowledge

1. I do not wear socks to bed. I don't like wearing tight stuff to bed. This can be traced back to when I was living in Moscow and wore spandex every day and night. I remember a trip we took and I promised myself I would never frequent spandex again. That and a decision to always stay hydrated followed me home.

2. I floss my teeth every night and had about two weeks during college where I was trying to be frugal and reused my dental floss. Luckily I had a good sister/brother-in-law who made fun of me until I stopped. Sometimes they still bring it up. They usually bring it up when they wish to produce short spurts of embarrassment. It usually works.

3. I may or may not be allergic to a million things, including peanuts, which didn't really occur to me until I left for my mission to Guatemala. I stopped eating peanuts when I realized they caused me to struggle for air. I sometimes still tell myself I'm not allergic and chance the occasional nut. Sometime in the near future I'll probably get an EpiPen for emergency situations. Always good to be careful, right? 

4. I like having long hair, but am addicted to trims. This could be traced back to my high school years when I had short hair, which actually needed to be shaped on a regular basis. It is therefore difficult for me to get my hair longer, since by my own devices, it is always getting trimmed.

5. I distinctly remember the birthmark on my right cheek being way bigger as a child, but it has since shrunk to an almost indistinguishable kiss of color the diameter of a fingerprint.

6. The first night we had to milk our goats, I remember being scared of them and therefore stranded atop a riding lawnmower for a good hour before mustering the courage to ditch my perch and run for safety on the other side of a fence. I was about 8 years old.

7. Thursday is actually my favorite day of the week, because it's the day before Friday. Friday as you know is the start of the weekend and is therefore the goal, but I like looking forward to the goal. I also like Tuesday and Wednesday for the same reason.

8. The day after an exceptional haircut, I was walking down some stairs in a KC mall during a school trip and some guy passing me said, "Yow!" After playing it cool to the bottom of the stairs, I walked back up the stairs to find the guy, but couldn't find him since I had no idea what he looked like. Obviously you can't play it cool when looking directly at someone. It was nice to hear though.

9. We had a pond in our back yard growing up. One time, while hanging out with my raft making brother Neal, I hit my knee on a rock at the bottom of the pond and distinctly remember thinking I was paralyzed. After a couple minutes of agony, I proved otherwise, walking to the side of the pond to check my wounds.

10. In elementary school I frequently got in trouble for reading too much. That was the only reason i ever got my name written on the board.

11. These days, when I'm really into a book, I will turn into a reading junkie, doing little aside from reading until I finish the book. Between the time I am really intrigued and the end of a book, eating, sleeping, and interacting with people are chores and a certain moodiness seems to take over my usual cheery disposition.

12. I do not look very good in hats. 

13. I love burritos, but don't really like taco bell.

14. I am more particular about certain things than I would guess. Today I let someone else cut a circle into 16 pieces. It was a cheesecake but was somehow cut completely unequally.  I took the knife from him. He backed down quite gracefully, but I'm sure he was a little annoyed at the particular office manager.

15. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I served a mission for 18 months in Guatemala. I now know Spanish and a little more about who I am and my purpose in this life. If you ever want to talk to me about it, I would love to talk with you about it.

3 comments:

emilyf said...

You're a Mormon? I LOVE Mormons. Sometimes. ;)

I like number 10. and also numbers 1-15. Because I like you.

Canute Russell Peterson said...

Merilee,

I had so much fun reading your useless but entertaining info...You are so awesome...This is mom, I'm not sure who's account I'm on...not surprising, especially because I even found this blog...

Amanda Petersen said...

This definitely made me miss you! Loved reading every one. You are one of a kind my friend...love your kids!