Friday, January 15, 2016

Reading Maniacs Unite

Recently, my friend Krissy asked me about books. She asked if I knew of any she could read with her kindergartener- because she herself doesn't enjoy reading and she wants to break the cycle. As an avid reader, I couldn't agree more. Here's a list I wrote up for her. I know there are millions and billions of great books out there. You can check out my Goodreads for other suggestions.

Here is a short list of some young reader fodder you might enjoy if you're just getting started:

Easy Readers
Curduroy By Don Freeman (sad)
Amelia Bedelia Books byPeggy Parish (so silly)
Katy No-Pocket By Emmy Payne (feel good)
Curious George Books by Margret and H.A. Rey (silly)
If you give a mouse a cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff (silly)
Blueberries for Sal By Robert McCloskey (Caldecott Honor)
The Velveteen Rabbit (so sad)
Clifford Books (silly)

Young Readers
Matilda By Roald Dahl
James and the Giant Peach By Roald Dahl
The Westing Game By Allen Raskin (Newberry Award)


Young Reader Series
The Indian in the Cupboard
Boxcar Children
Junie B Jones
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Pippi Longstocking
  
Books I've enjoyed recently- all fiction
The Blue Castle By L.M. Montgomery
Name of the Wind By Patrick Rothfuss 
The Night Circus By Erin Morgenstern
Treason By Orson Scott Card
The Forgotten Garden By Kate Morton

Tips to cultivating a reading frenzy
Reading Programs at the library
Paying your kids to read award-winning books- my mom gave $1 for newberry award books and $.50 for newberry honor books
Book it Pizzas- school program
Take kids to the library and let them choose 5 or 10 books each to read at home.
Have books easily accessible around the house (just don't get too crazy)

No comments: