Monday, September 17, 2018

Sister Bake-off

It has begun. The time for eating pumpkin cookies is upon us once again. Usually, I just google pumpkin cookies and make the one with the highest ratings. However, this year two of my sisters have insisted they have the perfect pumpkin cookie recipe to rival all others. Since they both insisted theirs was the best, I decided to do a bake-off and decide which recipe truly was the best.

Honestly with food, everyone has preferences. I myself like soft cookies, but other people like crunchy cookies. In the pumpkin cookie world, soft and chocolate-filled trumps. I, like my sisters, am a chocolate miser. However, with these cookies, it is an essential ingredient, so I allowed myself to splurge.

 The dough, recipe and cookies on the left are Bonnie's. The dough, recipe, and cookies on the right are Sarah's.



While I was making the cookies, I noticed they mainly have the same ingredients. Bonnie's cookie dough had more moisture. Since I put the dough in the fridge before baking, that kept the cookies from melting too much in the oven. I cooked them together at 350 for 15 minutes and they turned out equally soft, with almost identical texture and taste. Sarah's cookies had a little more spice in them because instead of 2 tsp of cinnamon, she told me to put in 1 tsp cinnamon and then 1/4 tsp of cloves, allspice, ginger and nutmeg. 

As the judge of these cookies, I declare them almost exactly the same, with Sarah's a tiny bit more spicy.

No comments: