Tuesday, February 8, 2011

new in Peten...Feb 8, 2011

Canute, Thanks for the ugly dog pictures. We have a lot of ugly dogs here too and they always chase us. I will be buying some poison this week and feeding it to the dogs. I hate dogs. I got a new area this change too. I also got a new comp. Her name´s Hna Urizar. She´s amazing. She´s from Quetzaltenango Guatemala.

She works hard, so we get along amazingly. We have been running in the mornings, so that´s probably going to be good for us, if we can keep at it for the whole change. We had our zone conference yesterday, hence my pday email today.

I am in a place called Poptun Peten. Peten is supposedly the hottest place in the mission and the furthest. And here I am. The streets are a lot flatter here. The people here speak Spanish, so I don´t have to learn Ketchi. That´s a relief.

Our house is also gigantic, three bedrooms, a back patio, a giant living room, a giant kitchen and a tiny bathroom. The elders helped us by cleaning the rooms while we unpacked our stuff. They also unpacked the fridge, microwaves, and made our beds...we opened up a new area out here so we dídn´t have anything in our house.

We walk a lot here...the church is 30 minutes walking from the house, and we have a giant area, so we´re trying to figure out where our members, minus activo, and baptism dates live. Pray for us. For our zone conference, Pres-Elder Martino came up and told us we need to strengthen this area by buffing up the priesthood membership. ´We´re a in a branch..But they had an assistance of 90 last week, which isn´t too bad.

Anyway, we´ve got a lot of work to do, but we also have a lot of faith we can do it. I´ll send pictures some time.

Mom, I got my birthday package. thank you. I prob. don´t need any more clothes b-c I´ve received a lot of great stuff to wear from my beloved family. Nor sunscreen, b-c I have 3 bottles of it, which will def. last for the rest of my mission. Thank you very much for the chocolate and music cd. More music was very much needed. If you send me another box, more music, more chocolate, and bug spray would be useful.

The climate out here, in this part of Peten, so far is rainy, but I hear it gets super hot, so I´m counting my blessings. We didn´t have water this morning, so I bathed with a pitcher of water and a little bowl. Our water heater doesn´t work either.

Good luck with the primary and CTR. I´m always jealous to hear about what you eat with the skills of Emily out there in KC. We´ve made a goal to make sandwiches to take on the run with us b-c we don´t have time out here to go home for lunch every day...it´s a 30 min. walk and we need all the time we can get to put this area on a running path toward success.
The church is true. Love you all! Love, Hna Peterson

Grant, you are the best. I want you to know...I´ve had the same epiphany about boys, and that is when I felt a lot less stress about boys and a lot more fulfillment out of life. I don´t know if I actually got more dates, or if my life just felt fuller b-c of other things. But you will be happier with a more balanced life.

On the boy-girl topic, my comp had a talk with our ZL, Elder Toolson about boys and never getting asked out. She´s gorgeous. I´m not even kidding you. Every day, without even trying. I would set you up, but she´s from Guat and therefore, it would be really hard to take off with that. She´s a music major and we get a lot of work done. We´re having an awesome time out here. Anyway, she was just always busy, so she said she´s never been on a date, she just had a lot of boys take her out as a friend. Lame. But I remember saying stuff like that to get boys to take me out. B-c they´re always like, Really? How´s that possible, you´re beautiful, and funny, and fun.

Anyway, I´m nervous for all that when I get home. I wrote Dallin every week, but he wrote me like once a month. So I think maybe I¨ll just do what he does, and write him when he writes me. I totally sent him a package for vday, with a belt, army guys, a poem card, and a cool scorpian made out of walnut shells- very cool.

So whatever with him, if he forgets about me there are always other options right? And I´m too busy to think about all that right now anyway. I´m 27, I have tons of time to find someone terrific. I got your letter from Christmas. Thanks. I´ll be writing back soon. Love you! Love, Hna Peterson

No comments: