Sunday, August 29, 2010

August 22, 2010

Grant, Cool the guy offered you a job. That´s something to remember when you return next year even though you don´t want to. Don´t feel bad, it happens a lot. Or you can work in Juneau. The second year´s a little better. Sorry about your bad luck with people coming over for pizza.

I´m sad I couldn´t be in Alaska with you. We could´ve had a rocking summer, the two of us, eating pizza and bonding and we could´ve netted normal people to hang out with together. Hah, what a joke, normal people in Alaska.

The great thing, is now you can return to Utah and be content to be popular again. Yay!!!!!! I sent your letter to our parents with my zip full of pictures and a letter titled Happy Birthday Dad and Happy Birthday Grant. I don´t know if you´ll get it anytime soon, but know I sent it last week so it should be journeying toward you as I type.

We knock doors every day. Plus, we stand about 15 feet from the door, b-c that´s where the bell is, everyone has little entrances. It´s pretty funny at first, but I´m used to it now. But yeah, if we didn´t knock doors, we´d never meet anyone. That´s how we contact here. Love you! Miss you! Good luck buying books! Love, Hna Peterson

Ps. How crappy is it to be allergic to peanuts? Really crappy.

Editor's note: This is Grant's letter to Merilee about knocking doors on your mission:

Canute mentioned that knocking doors is useless- I disagree. It has it's uses, but mostly when prompted by the Spirit. One of my best experiences was looking around for somewhere to proselyte, and being prompted to knock doors on a certain street. My companion was less than enthused, so I was ringing the buildings. On the third or fourth building, the very top room opened up the door. Quick note: In Europe they have what we call 'quem e' boxes, which means the doorbells for all of the apartments is at the bottom of the stairs behind a security door. When someone opens the security door, you can go in and actually talk to them at their door, or start knocking the remainder of the doors in the building. Sometimes, no one opens the security door, and you just have to try and talk to people through the little speaker(hence the 'quem e? Quem e? when they want to know who's at the door...). Anyways, we hadn't had much luck and in this building, the very first bell I rang opened up the door. I was kind of ticked, because it was the top floor of a building without an elevator, and sometimes people will just open up the door, look at you, and shut it. It was a long walk up stairs. But after a moment, I realized that it was a blessing to be let in either way so that I could actually knock and interact instead of just talking through a speaker. I thanked Heavenly Father silently for the chance to be let in, and we made our way to the top of the stairs. Behind the door was Jose Antonio. He invited us right in. He was an elect. He started living the word of wisdom before we even asked him, 'cause he 'felt it was what he needed to do'. He was one of the only men in the ward to help us move in a particular family that weekend, and he wasn't even a member. He took off work to help us move them in. He was later baptized, as well as his wife and one of his sons. He actually wasn't baptized until after I left for the Azores, but when I came back from the Azores one of my first stops was through that area. I saw his wife, and she told me the news about them being members. His wife hadn't been hardly interested at all when we stopped by, but now she had a glow to her face, and she recognized me even after being gone for 6 months. It was one of the best days of my life.


Sooooo... Long story short, I have a testimony of good ol' knockin doors, even though references are certainly the Lord's most effective way to proselyte. But yea. Have fun in Guacamole!
.........................
Oo. Seminary. I think Nutella should be ok. Anyway, I´m glad you´re doing well and have tons of new things to do.

My scripture I put on the envelope of my letter I sent last week. You should get it in about a week, but it doesn´t really matter what scripture it is, right? B-c the scriptures are full of truths. So yeah, my preferred scripture is Alma...I can´t remember right now, but yeah, maybe Alma 28 about how if all men were like Moroni, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.

I think basketball shorts would also be nice in a package sometime. I didn´t bring any shorts and I exercise in pajama pants, which is kind of a pain, but doable. Yeah, hopefully my peanut allergy will go away. I hope. Love and kisses! Hna Peterson
.............................................

I don´t know if I can get my peanut allergy fixed, but I´d be willing to make a go of it if there were some chance. I have learned here 1. everything is better with peanut butter. 2. Breathing is more important than peanut butter.

But it´s hard sometimes, b-c I love peanut things and I never realized how much until just now. I know right, sweet to be still getting paid. Mom said I just got paid $700 this week. How rockin´ awesome is that? Working for the Lord and getting paid meanwhile.

Also, I realized again while telling my comp about my missionary paperwork adventure how much the Lord blessed me before my mission. I had work in Alaska, right after in MO with Fedex, and right after with Vancouver and the Olympics. The Lord watches out for us that is for definite sure!

Everyone is always ready to leave Alaska. Every year, every person. I´m glad Marcia loves me and remembers me. I try to make a great impression on people. It helps with tips, it helps your future, and it makes for a great life of friendly memories with friendly people.

I hope the zip makes it there for you to view it. I´d hate for you to miss it if you can´t wait to see it. Two weeks right? Yeah, it should be there while you´re there. I hope.

I´m glad your last week in Alaska blew by, you´re going home, maybe to see Courtney, is she still dating that youngun´? And a fake tour video with you as the star, how cool is that?

I remember praying not to wreck...at the end of every month actually, but yes, especially at the end of the summer. Amazing how your confidence picks up every year though. And maybe we could drive buses together in England for the Olympics there. How cool would that be? No, en serio.

Hauling stuff on flights in a backpack is...crappy and I´ve done it. Bonnie wants to travel Europe. You two should go together. Or the three of us. Yes! Yes for options. Isn´t it nice to have money? Did you make as much money as you hoped this summer? I didn´t my first summer, and you only had one job in Alaska, but 8000 is way more than you´d get in UT. That´s all I made my first summer. The second summer I made about $12000. What a blessing it is to have two jobs in Alaska, and way more fun, because you don´t have that many friends, but hey, you´re rich...Or richer, than other people...

Love to hang out. Have fun in MO without me. Happy Birthday son!!!! Love, Hna Peterson

...........................

Hah, one time Cookie thumbed a ride with one of her friend´s moms and I wouldn´t get in the car b-c she was a stranger, but finally Cookie made me..so we wouldn´t have to walk. Also, I´m sorry you´re having trouble getting Megan adjusted to school. I don´t remember that, but that´s probably because I was so young. Hah.

I´m with Megan and Dad. Chocolate cake and rubarb pie sounds supreme. Supreme. Sorry I picked a crappy paying major. If it helps, I still don´t know what I want to do with my life. Maybe in a year. Pray for me to figure it out.

Prayers are always nice to get right? Tell Megan Auntie Merilee loves her too.

Also, I´m doing great here in Los Olivos with Hna Gonzalez, another time around. What a blessing. Thanks for all the news. I read a twix wrapper which said they may contain particles of nut. What a crock. Love, Hna Peterson

No comments: